print to tooli from computer

General discussion about all things Tooli
kenn32707

print to tooli from computer

Postby kenn32707 » Tue Apr 25, 2017 5:32 pm

Hi Guys wondering if there is any updates to our beloved tooli in regards to printing straight from our computers. I notice you all have a gen 2 coming out...... does that mean our gen 1 is obsolete???? or end of support. ????

please don't say it so...

would it be a possibility to upgrade original tooli to meet gen 2 standards...via firmware.

Toolbotics
Site Admin

Re: print to tooli from computer

Postby Toolbotics » Sat Apr 29, 2017 1:52 am

The original Tooli (G1) is no longer in production, and is going to be replaced with Tooli G2. We will continue to offer full support for G1, and most new features of G2 can be added to G1 with little or no modification. Actually, there are very few mechanical differences between G1 and G2.

Unlike G1, G2 does not have a touchscreen interface. Instead we have developed a Tooli GUI app which communicates with Tooli over USB. Also unlike G1, G2 does not have a laser toolhead. The industry standard for desktop laser devices is moving towards full enclosed machines. With Tooli offering such a large format, it isn't practical to fully enclose. We have made the decision to exclude the laser to maintain a large format.

Currently our new GUI app only supports Tooli G2. However, when time permits we will develop a G1 version of the app that includes laser support. If you choose to switch your G1 over to the new app you will need to upload new firmware. This new firmware will disable the touchscreen, and you will no longer be able to control your Tooli using the touchscreen.

kenn32707

Postby kenn32707 » Mon May 01, 2017 5:38 pm

Hi Toolbotics.

I am so glad to hear your tooli is upgrading, a good sign of your dedication to our beloved tool.

now with the G2 not catering to a laser head, that no too good for me as my work process depends on the laser a lot.

I have been unable to achieve desirable results with the airbrush gun so my reliance on the laser head is absolute.

that being said. how much would it be for a separate controller in which I can take advantage of G2 Firmware. and its new modular offerings.

also need a price for G1 laser head for backup purposes. if not available can you point me in the direction to find suitable replace meant. I've combed all over eBay and found parts but none like the on you had provide.. for instance a 10w laser module....can our tooli handle that???

Toolbotics
Site Admin

Postby Toolbotics » Tue May 02, 2017 3:05 am

The G2 controller is built into the machine base, and therefore it won't be possible to swap between G1/G2 controllers - I'm assuming this is what you're thinking. It is possible to fit the G2 controller to G1, however there would be no advantage to doing this. We will produce a modified version of the G1 firmware that will allow G1 Tooli's to function just like a G2 - with the addition of laser support.

G1 laser toolheads are our own design and they were manufactured in-house. Although we do have several complete laser toolheads in stock as spares, our ongoing strategy is to offer a refurbishment service for dead or tired lasers. As an alternative, we can supply a replacement diode module and the user can perform the transplant. This is rather tricky and requires the use of a soldering iron - not for the technically challenged. Pricing for the 3 options as follows...

Complete laser toolhead: $460
Refurbishment service: $230
Diode module with lens: $180

Prices in US dollars and exclude shipping fee.

Tooli's laser circuitry is designed specifically for our 2.5W laser unit, which draws a maximum current of 2A. We advise against connecting 3rd party laser devices.

Return to “General Tooli Discussion”