Dispensing Paint

General discussion about all things Tooli
see-n'-see

Dispensing Paint

Postby see-n'-see » Wed Jul 06, 2016 5:23 pm

I tested out the dispenser function this morning and made a little bit of a mess :) (see pics)
Using the heavier bodied green paint, 90% of the paint was expelled within 2 seconds from the force of the air. Then, using the more liquid red paint, it started dripping out of the tip before I even tried placing the syringe in the tool head. Also, I didn't take a picture of this but after pushing out all the green paint the plunger is now all the way to the bottom of the syringe and I can't figure out a good way to pull it out.

Assuming tooli can do both heavy bodied paint and liquid paint, do you have tips for how to deal with the problems I've had with each type? And if so, also could you suggest a psi and other settings like speed for them? I will do lots of testing to figure out the best settings but it might be helpful to have a rough starting place.

hosting image

Toolbotics Support

Re: Dispensing Paint

Postby Toolbotics Support » Thu Jul 07, 2016 2:44 am

There's a number of factors involved with how quickly the medium will be ejected from the syringe. This includes viscosity, air pressure, and needle size.

If you're using medium that's quite liquid, then you'll need low air pressure and a fine needle. Conversely, if you're using thick paste you'll need high air pressure and a thicker needle. There will be a limit on how liquid the medium can be due to gravity. Also, you need to keep air pressure below 65psi and therefore there will be a limit on medium weight?

Here's what we do at Toolbotics when establishing parameters for a new medium… First - load the filled syringe into the machine and lower the head, so that the tip of the needle is about 1mm above a scrap of card. With the air pressure down low, activate the air solenoid via the touch screen (note: you need at least 15-20psi for the solenoid to function). Next increase air pressure until the medium starts exiting the needle, then drag the card around to make a bead. By adjusting air pressure and drag speed, you can control the bead size. Needle to work-piece distance will also affect flow and bead size. Once happy with the results, run a small test job using an estimate of the drag speed for the XY speed. Typically the more liquid the medium, the faster XY speed you need. This obviously depends on the result you're after (and air pressure, and needle size). It may be a lot to take in, but once you've done it a few times you get a feel for it.
Toolbotics Forum Support