Strange behavior with Y axis

General discussion about all things Tooli
Marcus K

Strange behavior with Y axis

Postby Marcus K » Sun Jul 10, 2016 3:59 pm

Hi,
I have assembled my Tooli today :)

When Tooli boots up it asks for the tool head (plot), then it is seeking for its limits. First limit is Z, than y and last X axis. That seems to work so far.
Now I'm opening the "move to coordinates" screen. It says X = 840 and Y = 600 (large Tooli). When I put 400 for X it is moving to the left. That'S ok.
When I set Y to 300 (or any other value) X and Y are moving a little bit and you hear a loud noise (both stepper stalling?).

What could be wrong?

Toolbotics Support

Re: Strange behavior with Y axis

Postby Toolbotics Support » Mon Jul 11, 2016 3:20 am

If one axis stalls due to an electrical or mechanical issue, you'll see unexpected movement in both axes. This is a result of Tooli's coreXY drive system, which relies on both motors working together to move a single axis.

Possible reasons for a motor stall include the following...

Dirt or grit on the aluminum beam V slot or carriage wheels - sliding your finger along surfaces is a good way to check this.

Carriage wheels adjusted to tightly on V slot - with Tooli powered off, manually move the carriage around to check ease of movement. There will be some resistance from the stepper motors, but carriages should move with little force.

Poor electrical contact - check all cable plugs are pressed firmly into their respective sockets.

Firmware acceleration issue due to corrupt packet - reload firmware.

Faulty stepper driver - replace if all else fails

Check possible causes 1-3, if the issue persist we'll send you reload firmware instructions.
Toolbotics Forum Support

Marcus K

Postby Marcus K » Mon Jul 11, 2016 5:37 am

Thank you for your support. :)
I rechecked the belt system and realized that in one corner the lower belt has fliped outside the flanges. Result was that the upper and lower belts were rubbing against each other and when you move just the gantry the tool head was also moving (right hand stepper was not moving).

Now the belt system is correct and just little force is needed to move the gantry and the tool head. When you flip the frame by 90° to its front (so it's standing on its front) the gantry is moving (falling) down just by g force (make sure it cannot move a long distance or moving fast, otherwise you can damage your elektrinic -> steppers are working as generators).

Toolbotics Support

Postby Toolbotics Support » Mon Jul 11, 2016 8:31 am

Ah yes, thank you Marcus - I forgot to mention that when moving carriages around by hand, you should do so only slowly. Stepper motors make excellent generators when manually rotated, and as a result will send voltage back to the stepper drives and control system. The electronics can tolerate the motors being turned slowly, but may be damaged if the motors are spun fast.
Toolbotics Forum Support