SD Card issues

General discussion about all things Tooli
Brandy F

SD Card issues

Postby Brandy F » Tue Aug 02, 2016 3:58 pm

When I first got my Tooli, the sd card that came with it got corrupted or at least my computer said it was corrupt and wouldn't read or write to it anymore. No big deal, so I went and bought a 2 pack of regular 2GB Sd cards and a brand new USB card reader in case it was my computer that corrupted it. But no matter which card I use, Tooli has trouble seeing the files on it. I've got several files of both plot and laser on each card. I insert the card into the Tooli Controller and go into Laser, Seek Limits, Load Job. Then I get blank rows in the Load Job screen. I tried powering down the controller & taking the card out and putting it back in. It will just sit there with no jobs showing up for however long I let it. Eventually, I started going into Load Jobs, hit Close, Load Jobs, Close and eventually it will show the files on the SD Card but sometimes it takes ten minutes. I'm not sure what's wrong. It seems to have gotten worse. I'm wondering if something inside the controller is loose or if it's something in the software? I have clicked on where the job I want to run should be (2nd row) and it shows the job screen with no title, click exit, load files, click the blank row. Sometimes it will show the job name and I can run it. Sometimes it will still be blank. It happened on the original card too before it said it was corrupted. Like I said it will eventually show the files on the screen. And I can run the job fine once it finally shows up but only after hopping around in the menu to get it see the card.

Greg R

Re: SD Card issues

Postby Greg R » Tue Aug 02, 2016 7:06 pm

I can't speak on the corruption issues, but I had an issue in the beginning as my Mac would save the files without the proper extensions and they would not show up on the tooli screen. Once I made sure I was adding the proper files from the tooli software with the proper extensions (e.g. "*.glsr" for laser jobs) they showed up fine. Have you checked this yet?

Brandy F

Postby Brandy F » Wed Aug 03, 2016 8:49 pm

I'm not using a mac. And yes the extension shows up both on my computer and in the controller. As I said after jumping around in the menu on the controller, the files will show up eventually and the job will run successfully after it finally shows up on the Load Job screen. I have done several jobs successfully but usually spend at least 15-20 minutes hopping around in the menu, before the controller finally sees there are files on the sd card in the Load Job Screen. This has happened on 3 separate sd cards with both the same files (test jobs in plot & laser the first few times on the original sd until my computer said it was corrupted, then with the two new sd cards I bought) and new jobs. (Though in the very beginning it would only take maybe 5 minutes to see the files so it seems to have gotten worse.) The card reader in the controller just doesn't seem to work part of the time and its taking longer to read it. Whether it's a software or hardware issue I don't know. I have been making signs for my sister the last two days from the same two job files on the sd card (sign front job & sign back job). I left the sd card in the first night after running both jobs (after it initially not seeing it), turned on the Tooli the second night and it still happened. It read and ran the files the day before, the sd card stayed in the tooli, next boot up it still acted like there was no jobs for at least 15 minutes. The fact that the job runs and finishes successfully from the sd card makes me think it less likely to be hardware, but I don't know really. Why would it see the jobs after 15 minutes. But not right after turning on the machine? And if the sd card is only reading intermittently, why would each job that I have ran still complete successfully & smoothly? On monday night when it wouldn't read the second sd card, I copied the files to the third and it had the same issues with not seeing the jobs until i jumped in and out of load jobs and back to main menu and back to laser, seek limits, load jobs, repeat. I want to put in an sd card, turn on the machine and start the job. It's frustrating as heck trying everything to get it to realize there's a card with jobs in there. And then to just randomly show them at some point later on, after the card has been in all that time. I was hoping it was a simple software thing, maybe hitting load jobs is not triggering the controller to read the sd card correctly or something?? Sorry this turned into a novel, it's just so frustrating because eventually it will show the files and run fine.

Brandy F

Postby Brandy F » Wed Aug 03, 2016 9:05 pm

These are the jobs I was running the last two days although it has done this on every job I've ran so far. Also, I'm lasering the signs on 14"x20" plywood (x,y for the bottom left corner of the board is 5",5")
Sign Front (Mums with right arrow)https://www.dropbox.com/s/mrmcwep57wzw7va/mums1-r.glsr?dl=0
Sign Back (Mums with left arrow) https://www.dropbox.com/s/6ql1nhwi92az9at/mums2-left.glsr?dl=0

And here is the sign front job after the controller eventually sees it and it runs
https://www.dropbox.com/s/amc2d4j4jzrzb8s/IMAG1388.jpg?dl=0

Toolbotics Support

Postby Toolbotics Support » Wed Aug 03, 2016 11:59 pm

You shouldn't be able to see the file extension on the touchscreen, only the file name should be visible. So it's potentially a control issue and not hardware. Perhaps try renaming your file using only letters, numbers and spaces. It's possible the hyphen in the file name is causing the issue.

Love the sign, though I'm curious to know what's the going rate for a "mum" :)
Toolbotics Forum Support

Brandy F

Postby Brandy F » Thu Aug 04, 2016 2:28 pm

I will try that tonight. And they are $5 US for a nice potted mum. lol.